Six Sigma Certification is a kind of confirmation of an individual’s capabilities with respect to specific competencies. Just like any other quality certification, however, it does not indicate that an individual is capable of unlimited process improvement. It just means that they have completed the necessary requirements from the company granting the certification, in other words, it means that they have been enrolled in a green belt training and passed the exam. Getting a Six Sigma certification demonstrates person’s commitment as a quality management professional to improve your analytical skills and enhance your business acumen. If you want to learn the basics of Lean Six Sigma, you can check out an online free Six Sigma course as well.
3 Levels Of Six Sigma Certification
6 Sigma certification has multiple levels. All those levels have been titled as “Belts”. The title of all the belts was coined in relation to martial arts. Each belt requires us to carry different skills and responsibility. In case of a project implementation, the classification of belts would also lead to different roles. The Six Sigma certification comes in 3 skill levels:
- Six Sigma Green Belt: Six Sigma Green Belt certified personnel are Six Sigma project leaders capable of forming and facilitating Six Sigma teams and managing Six Sigma projects from concept to completion. While some organizations have a Yellow Belt for Six Sigma, the industry-wide standard recognizes Green Belt as the most basic certification level available. Professionals who are Six Sigma Green Belt certified personnel are expected to be familiar with all the tools and techniques which are required to implement the “Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control (DMAIC)” portion of the improvement framework
- Six Sigma Black Belt: Six Sigma Black Belt certified personnel is technically oriented individuals held in high regard by their peers. They should be actively involved in the process of organizational change and development. They are often asked to lead teams consisting of green belts and are expected to devote 100% of their time and attention to working with the Six Sigma methodology
- Master Black Belt: This is the highest level of technical and organizational proficiency. Master Black Belts provide technical leadership to the Six Sigma program. Thus, they must know everything the Black Belts knows, as well as additional skills vital to the success of the Six Sigma program. The additional skill might be deep understanding of the mathematical theory on which the statistical methods are based
Whether it is Green Belt certification or Black Belt certification, as a Six Sigma certified personnel, you will have the tools to make the business flourish. While it may be a challenging endeavor to achieve all the requirements, it will be well worth the experience. Hiring managers look for the knowledge of a Six Sigma to improve business goals, increase profitability and run a better overall enterprise. Procuring your Six Sigma certification will help you accelerate your career as a true subject matter expert for eliminating deficiencies as a fundamental value-add to the corporation. This makes you valuable as a subject matter expert in Six Sigma methodology.
Why Six Sigma Certification?
Like many other certifications, the chief reason to acquire Six Sigma certification is to demonstrate proficiency in process improvement and in the mitigation or eradication of errors in a variety of processes in one or multiple business units. The Six Sigma certification also helps you become an expert in solving process-specific problems. It also enriches the career prospects of certified personnel. But apart from benefits held in common with many other certifications, there are unique advantages that make Six Sigma certification wonderfully useful.
The primary goal of the Six Sigma certification is to test individuals for their skills in the context of identifying and eliminating errors. The certification exams for Six Sigma are very methodical. Anybody who acquires any level of Six Sigma certification is supposed to capable of dealing with all improvements within the organization. It is an absolute necessity to complete all phases to gain the credentials of Six Sigma certification.
11 Reasons For Obtaining Six Sigma Certification
The following is a list of reasons on the importance of obtaining a Six Sigma Certification:
- Acquiring Six Sigma certification enables an individual to demonstrate uninterrupted efforts & gain stable and foreseeable process results that are very important to an organization’s overall improvement. Most individuals with Six Sigma certification are crucial to an organization’s ability to identify and eliminate repeatable process errors.
- An individual or a group of individuals carrying Six Sigma certification helps enable an organization to make more savings and revenue by identifying and eliminating errors that would otherwise have brought poor customer satisfaction and losses to the business.
- Six Sigma certification gives a bankable edge when looking for work as a quality management professional
- Six Sigma certification demonstrates that a person has a sound understanding of various methods of problem-solving, cost reduction, and improvement of many manufacturing processes
- Six Sigma certification helps an individual establish credentials as a trained and experienced quality management professional
- Six Sigma certification helps get trained in the application of tools like KAIZEN and Poka-Yoke, which are proven methodologies to achieve faster-than-expected improvements to the process or product. In the IT or ITeS industry, professionals carrying Six Sigma certification can help reduce invoicing errors, customer complaints, complaint resolution time, IT spending, schedule delays, and cost overruns
- Six Sigma certification helps Six Sigma professional gear-up for more career opportunities; in the capacity of process improvement specialist, Six Sigma team leader or mentor, or even as someone qualified for a higher management position
- Six Sigma certification helps gain the knowledge to identify characteristics of an organization’s manufacturing and business processes and be able to measure, analyze, control, and improve them. These skills are very important in getting hired by any business organization
- Six Sigma certification helps Six Sigma professionals find gainful employment in industries across the board. The industries could range from Information Technology and Security to Healthcare, Investment Banking, and Finance to Automotive manufacturing. It won’t be wrong to say the demand for Certified Six Sigma professionals always remains averagely high across sectors
- Six Sigma certification helps gain a clear understanding of measuring and quantifying financial benefits from executing any Six Sigma project
- Evidently, Six Sigma method helps comprehend various techniques & know-how to cut costs, increase revenue, and ways to improve the efficiency of the business process. Six Sigma certification helps position an individual as a change agent within the organization, spearheading quality improvement throughout a team or organization, bolstering your leadership skill-set
Author: Nilesh Bhanushali