PMP is the most prestigious and well-known certification in project management around the world. There are several ways and resources for PMP certification. However, the most affordable and convenient way to prepare is PMP online certification preparation.
We will describe details of PMP online certification in this post. You will find several useful links and free resources about PMP online certification as well.
What is PMP?
PMP is the acronym for Project Management Professional, and PMP credential is offered by the Project Management Institute, USA. PMP is the most coveted credential for a project manager and recognized all over the world. Being a PMP has many perks but getting there is not easy either.
How can you be PMP Certified?
There are a few prerequisites for applying for the PMP certification:
- If you are having a master’s degree or a 4 year under graduation (10+2+4), you need to have 4500 hours of experience managing projects. If don’t have the 10+2+4 years education, you need to have 7500 hours of project experience.
- You need 35 hours of formal project management education
You can read more about PMP certification requirements.
How do I get the 35 contact hours?
You can get the 35 hours of formal education through:
- Attending a classroom session on Project Management from PMI chapters or PMI Registered Education Providers (REP)
- Attend online virtual instructor led sessions on Project Management from REPs
- Attend a self-paced online PMP training training on Project Management
What is PMP online certification?
If you are looking for options to prepare for PMP at your pace and avoid commute, you may go for PMP online certification. There are many options provided by various REPs.
- Self-paced, completely online courses: You can access these PMP online certification courses anytime anywhere provided you have an internet connection. The requirements to access the courses are mentioned by the providers. Most of them are simple enough and don’t need any special installation, etc. The advantage of these PMP online certification courses is you can work on them at any time and from anywhere. You may do more in one day, less. It all depends on you.
- Instructor-led online classes: These are similar to physical classroom sessions, difference being you are virtually attending them. These are conducted during specific timing on specific days which you need to sign up and attend. Many REPs conduct these type of sessions too
- Self-paced recorded session with help from experts: This blends the advantage of both classroom and self-paced. You are able to do the course at your pace and can also get in touch with experts to clarify your queries.
How to choose a PMP online certification course?
When choosing an PMP online certification course, look for these:
- Expertise of the instructor
- Real world examples provided
- Provision to get your queries/doubts clarified by the instructor
- How long the access is given for you to view the PMP online certification course?
- Reviews of previous PMP exam takers who enrolled in the PMP online certification training.
- Facility to network with other aspirants in the PMP online certification training to discuss and keep you motivated as well as focused (We all are bogged down by project and domestic pressure, so continuity in preparation is the key)
- Facility to check your progress and understanding – Question Bank (what is important is the accuracy and relevance of the sample PMP exam questions. Watch out for questions that are on the earlier versions of PMBoK or before the pattern changed. These can completely demotivate and misguide you)
- Facility to have certain key concepts, formulas. tips and tricks as downloadable handouts ( Easy to refer to for a quick byte of knowledge! Time is one of the major constraints for the busy project managers)
- Support from the PMP online certification training provider on application process for PMP online certification
Check out a section from our Online PMP Training
How to prepare for PMP Certification?
You may go for online PMP preparation if you are comfortable with soft copies, videos, online discussions and want to stay connected. There are many websites that provide free PMP resources and paid resources to help you prepare. If you are the type who wants to write a few points, underline, and primarily hold a book in your hand and write down to remember better, go ahead with the good old paper and pencil.
Firstly, come up with a PMP study plan, your own project plan for PMP certification. Estimate the time and cost for the PMP certification. Create a schedule that includes all the activities in your PMP online certification journey. Reading PMBoK, Going through the online sessions, taking tests, correcting errors, clarifying concepts, revision etc. These are the activities that will be in your PMP online certification schedule. Take care of the risks and of course, the stakeholders for this project including your family and boss.
There are many online resources and blogs that help the aspirants to smoothly sail through the PMP online certification process.
PMP Online Certification:
When you submit your application, PMI will review and inform you that your PMP online certification application has been accepted. Then you pay the fee, pick your date and slot in the Prometric center of your choice based on the availability. The PMP certification exam is of four hours and is computer based. It is not online in the sense you login to a website and take the exam. So, although you might have opted for PMP online certification method, you need to take your PMP certification exam in a Prometric test center.
There are many Prometric test centers across the world, so pick the one that is convenient to you. PMP exam has questions with four options, of which you need to pick one correct answer. The good news is that there are no negative marks for wrong answers.
You can read more about PMP exam structure.
PMP Certification Exam:
You need to carry Identity proof– preferably Government provided to the exam center which will be verified. Ensure the name on the ID proof and the name in the application match or you may not be allowed for the exam.
The PMP certification exam is computer based with a tutorial provided to familiarize you with the exam pattern. Once you start the exam, the clock keeps ticking and once you click submit or when the four hours are elapsed the exam gets finished. Hold your breath! You are going to see a message ‘Congratulations’ on the screen once you submit. And, you are a PMP from then on. You can add PMP to your name from that day. Your PMP online certification journey is now over. However, PMP certification is not a get-and-forget certification.
Be sure you renew your PMP certification in the three-year certification cycle to keep your credential in good standing. There is a PMP renewal process for this.
In summary, PMP Online Certification is an option that allows you freedom and flexibility to prepare at your suitable time, at your pace and at your place. You can learn through self-paced courses that also allow provide expert help when needed. The PMP online certification training package offered by some of the REPs includes mock tests and tests by Knowledge Area to assess your preparation.
Sunanda Gundavajhala, B.Tech, M.B.A, PMP has over 25 years of project management. She is a consultant, trainer on project management for different sectors and is the recipient of “Recognition of Excellence” award from PMI, USA and Woman Volunteer award from Hyderabad, India Chapter of PMI. She has contributed to the “Practice Standard on Scheduling, PMI”. She has worked as the Liaison officer for PMIEF (Education Foundation) for the Hyderabad, India Chapter of PMI.
See our other articles you might be interested in:
PMP Certification Requirements article will help you to understand eligibility requirements to sit for PMP exam. It will be good to know whether you fulfill the PMP eligibility requirements before you start your PMP preparation.
PMP Certification Cost article will help you to see all aspects of PMP certification cost. Check all aspects of PMP certification cost and prepare your budget for getting PMP certification.
PMP exam questions article will help you to see sample PMP exam questions. You will see also answers and rationales for these sample PMP exam questions.
PMP certification salary article will help you to see anticipated salary hike after you get the PMP certification!