PMP is one of the most important and valuable certifications for the project management profession. It is an industry-recognized certification for people working in the project management field. PMP certification may give you a higher salary than those, not PMP certified. Through PMP PMI certification you can understand and communicate the global language of project management with other professionals. It gives you an opportunity to connect with the community of professionals, organizations, and experts worldwide.
Attend our 100% Online & Self-Paced One-Hour Free PMP Training.
However, while these are all benefits of PMP certification, there is a cost of PMP certification. In this post, we will explore the aspects of the PMP exam fee.
The demand for skilled project managers is increasing day by day. If you are willing to advance your career in the field of project management, you must consider getting PMP certification. Being aware of the PMP exam fee and its aspects is one of the first steps in your PMP exam journey.
PMP certification fee varies depending on the following conditions:
- PMI Members
- Non-PMI Members
- Re-attempt of PMP examination
- Renewal of PMP Certification.
We will be going over the details of the PMP exam fee for all these conditions one by one. We will also explain the details of the cancellation & refund process of the PMP exam fee if you paid already and do not want to sit for the PMP exam.
Watch our “What is the PMP® exam fee?” video
PMP Exam Fee Descriptions
After you completed your PMP application, if PMI approves your application, you will be eligible to sit for the PMP exam. The one-year PMP exam eligibility period begins once the PMP application is approved. Throughout this time, you can take the PMP examination up to three times if you cannot pass the PMP exam on your first attempt. You will get a discounted price for the PMP exam on the second and third attempts.
After helping over 125,000 professionals in more than 180 countries with a 99.6% first attempt pass rate, we have prepared a seven-step PMP study plan. Read this PMP study plan and create your own PMP prep plan accordingly.
The following table shows the PMP exam fees distribution for PMI members, non-PMI members, and re-attempt.
|PMP Examination||PMI Member Examination Fees($USD)||Non-PMI Member Examination Fees(USD)|
|PMP Exam – First Time||$405||$555|
|PMP Re-attempt Examination||$275||$375|
If you apply for the PMP exam and will sit for the PMP exam for the first time, we recommend being a member of PMI during your PMP exam application. Because the total PMP exam fee you will pay will not differ. However, being a PMI member will give you one-year access to the PMI library including PMBOK. Let’s see the PMI member fees.
PMI Member Fees
The default PMI membership fee is $129 and there is a one-time $10 membership application fee. If you are a student or retiree, you will have discounted PMI membership fees.
|Membership||PMI Membership Fees($USD)||Note|
|Normal||$129||Plus, a one-time US$10 application fee|
PMI Student Membership: In order to be considered for this membership, you must have enrolled in a full-time, degree-granting program at a college or university that has U.S. accreditation or the global equivalent.
PMI Retiree Membership: In order to be considered for this membership, you must have been a PMI member in good standing for five or more consecutive years and have retired from active employment.
Note that, if you select one of these discounted membership options during your application, PMI will ask for documents from you to prove your status.
Hint: Do you wonder when you can take the PMP exam? Read more about the PMP exam schedule, the next PMP exam date and how you can schedule, and more in the PMP exam schedule post.
Annual Renewal PMI Member fees:
If you are already a PMI member and if you want to renew your membership, you will be paying the annual renewal fee. The annual renewal fee is $119 for PMI members. If your PMI membership has expired and if you want to rejoin PMI, you will be considered a new member. You will be paying a $129 membership fee plus a $10 joining fee as well.
Following are the most popular benefits of being a PMI member.
- Download the PMBOK Guide for free
- Save money on globally recognized certifications
- Master new skills through free webinars and events
- Stay ahead of deadlines using 1,000+ free tools and templates
- Join the community to make local and global connections
What are the other aspects of the PMP exam fee?
Note that, we have explored only the PMP exam fees. When you are preparing for the PMP exam, you will have other “costs” as well. For instance, you must attend in PMP training to satisfy the PMP requirements. PMP training program cost depends on various factors including your location, content of the training, whether you will enroll in an online or classroom training program, etc.
Besides, you have to spare your time for PMP exam study as well. So, there will be a time investment to get your PMP certification. We have outlined all aspects of these in our PMP certification cost post. Please read it to understand all aspects of the PMP exam fee.
Is it worth becoming a PMI member while aspiring for PMP Certification?
The short answer is: Yes, of course joining PMI as a member is worth it. For the long answer and justifications, please read on.
Firstly, the PMP exam fees cover the membership fee and the membership gives some benefits. E.g. accessing PMBOK for free, having a discount on PMP exam fees, etc.
Secondly, you can save up to $100 on the PMP exam fee on a re-attempt of the PMP Certification exam if you cannot pass on your first try. If you have already passed the PMP exam, you must be aware of PMP certification renewal. We have detailed this in the following heading.
PMP Certification Renewal Fees
In order to maintain your PMP certification, there are certain steps you must follow. These are the below high-level steps for renewing PMP Certification:
- Earn and report 60 PDU Professional Development Units, every three years of the Certification Cycle.
- Fill and complete all the necessary details of an application for certificate renewal
- Make a payment for the PMP renewal fees after receiving confirmation from PMI.
PMP Certification Renewal cost:
PMP renewal fee depends on whether you are a PMI member or not as well.
|Member||PMP Renewal Fees($USD)|
Earning PDUs for PMP Renewal:
All PMP certification holders must earn PDUs to actively maintain their PMP Certification.
These PDUs can be earned through various development activities which fall under the following two categories:
- Education: – Gain knowledge to enhance your technical, leadership, and business management skills.
- Giving back to the Profession: – Contribute to the activities to build the profession by utilizing your knowledge & skills.
|Certification Detail||Certification Cycle||Minimum Education PDU||Maximum Giving Back PDU||Total PDU|
|PMP||3 Years from Getting PMP Certificate or Re-Certification Date||35||25||60|
PMI Refers to the Talent Triangle which consists of three areas that together make up the ideal skill set combination. When earning PDUs for renewing your PMP, you must comply with PMP PDU requirements as well.
The details are given below:
- Technical Project Management: Knowledge, skills, and behaviors related to specific domains of Project, Program, and Portfolio Management.
- Leadership: Knowledge, skills, and behaviors specific to leadership-oriented, cross-cutting activities that help an organization achieve its business goals
- Strategic and Business Management: Knowledge of and expertise in the industry or organization that enhances performance and better delivers business outcomes.
Rescheduling or Cancelling PMP Certification Fee
Although you have paid for the PMP exam and paid for PMP certification fee, you can reschedule or cancel your exam. There might or might not be rescheduling or cancellation fees. The following table summarizes the PMP certification fee in case of rescheduling or cancellation.
|PMP Exam Rescheduling/Cancel –|
Days Prior to the exam (it doesn’t include the day of the exam)
|PMP Exam Rescheduling Fees($USD)|
|More Than 30 Days||No Fee|
|Less Than 30 Days, But More Than 2 Days||$70|
|2 Days or Less||Forfeit Entire Exam Fee|
Always try to reschedule or cancel the PMP exam as soon as you realize that you are not able to attend the exam. Otherwise, you will pay for PMP certification fee for rescheduling or cancellation. The rescheduling or cancellation PMP certification fee would be zero if it is done 30 days before the scheduled exam.
How Can I Reschedule or Cancel CBT (Computer Based Testing) PMP Exam Appointment?
After you have applied and passed the PMP eligibility, you will be able to schedule your PMP exam through your profile at the pmi.org website. Actually, you will be directed to the Pearson VUE website to schedule your PMP exam. If you want to reschedule or cancel your PMP exam, you will do this from the same place.
How Can I Reschedule or Cancel PBT (Paper-based testing) PMP Exam Appointment?
If you have opted to sit for PMP Paper-Based Testing (PBT), you have to send an email at [email protected] no later than 35 calendar days before the scheduled examination administration date. Kindly include your name, your PMI identification number, your group id number, (both found on your confirmation mail), and the location of the PBT event in your email.
PMP Exam Fees Refund Criteria
In certain circumstances, you can get a refund for the PMP exam fees you have paid. We will see these now.
- If your PMP application was selected for audit and failed, then, PMI will deduct $100 from your PMP exam fees and refund the rest of the amount to you.
- If you have passed the audit or if your application has not been selected for the audit and you have not written the exam, but, you want to get a refund of the PMP exam fee amount. You should request for cancellation one month before the PMP exam eligibility expiration date. Next, PMI will deduct $100 and refund the rest of the amount to you.
- PMP exam fees are not refundable if you fail the exam.
- PMI will not refund money if you have not taken the exam by your exam eligibility expiration date (usually one year from the approval date)
- If you schedule the exam and you have not attended the exam. You will not get a PMP exam fee refund from PMI.
PMI considers the extenuating circumstances for personal emergencies to cancel or reschedule the exam within 30 days of the appointment or miss a scheduled exam appointment.
Below are the details:
- Medical Emergency
- Military Deployment
- Death in Immediate Family
- Illness in Immediate Family
- Natural Disaster
Note: These circumstances do not include work-related circumstances.
If you fall into one of the conditions above, kindly, contact [email protected] with an explanation and supporting documentation to obtain a refund of PMP exam fees or reschedule your PMP exam without a penalty.
How Can I Pay PMP Exam Fee?
There are several ways to pay for the PMP exam fee.
- Credit Card: Online certification system or postal mail to PMI
- Check: Postal mail to PMI
- Money Order: Postal mail to PMI
- Wire Transfer: Email [email protected] for details
While sending PMP applications through postal mail, include PMP exam fee payment detail if you are not using one of the online payment methods.
If you submit your PMP application online, you may submit the PMP exam fee payment in the following ways:
- Online – Use the Online Certification System to submit credit card payments. This is the fastest PMP exam fee payment method.
- By Postal Mail – you can mail checks, money orders, credit card information, or wire payment information to PMI. Please mention your PMI identification number and your user name.