PMP is one of the most important and valuable certification for project management profession. It is industry recognized certification for people working in the project management field. PMP certification may give you higher salary than those without PMP certified. Through PMP certification you can understand and communicate global language of project management with other professionals. It gives you an opportunity to connect with community of professionals, organizations and expert worldwide. However, while these are all benefits of PMP certification, there is a cost of PMP certification. In this post, we will explore the aspects of PMP exam fee.
The demand for skilled project managers is increasing day by day. If you are willing to advance your career in the field of project management, you must consider getting PMP certification. Being aware of PMP exam fee and its aspects is one of the first steps for your PMP exam journey.
PMP certification fee varies depending on following conditions:
- PMI Members
- Non-PMI Members
- Re-attempt of PMP examination
- Renewal of PMP Certification.
We will be going over the details of PMP exam fee for all these conditions one-by-one. We will also explain the details of cancellation & refund process of PMP exam fee if you paid already and do not want to sit for the PMP exam.
PMP Exam Fee Descriptions
After you completed your PMP application, if PMI approves your application, you will be eligible to sit for the PMP exam. The one-year PMP exam eligibility period begins once the PMP application is approved. Throughout this time, you can take the PMP examination up to three times if you cannot pass in your first attempt. You will get a discounted PMP exam fee rate in the second and third attempts.
After helping over 50,000 professionals in more than 180 countries with a 99.6% first attempt pass rate, we have prepared a seven step PMP study plan. Read this PMP study plan and create your own PMP prep plan accordingly.
Following table shows the PMP exam fees distribution for PMI members, non-PMI members and for re-attempt.
|PMP Examination||PMI Member Examination Fees($USD)||Non-PMI Member Examination Fees(USD)|
|PMP Exam – First Time||$405||$555|
|PMP Re-attempt Examination||$275||$375|
If you applied for PMP exam and you will sit for the PMP exam for your first time, we recommend being a PMI member during your PMP exam application. Because, the total PMP exam fee you will pay will not differ. However, being a PMI-member will give you one-year access to PMI library including PMBOK. Let’s see the PMI member fees.
PMI Member Fees
Default PMI membership fee is $129 and there is a one-time $10 membership application fee. If you are a student or retiree, you will have discounted PMI membership fees.
|Membership||PMI Membership Fees($USD)||Note|
|Normal||$129||Plus, one-time US$10 application fee|
PMI Student Membership: In order to be considered for this membership, you must have enrolled in a full-time, degree-granting program at a college or university that has U.S. accreditation or the global equivalent.
PMI Retiree Membership: In order to be considered for this membership, you must have been a PMI member in good standing for five or more consecutive years and have retired from active employment.
Note that, if you select one of these discounted membership options during your application, PMI will ask documents from you to prove your status.
Hint: Do you wonder when you can take the PMP exam? Read more about PMP exam schedule, the next PMP exam date and how you can schedule and more in PMP exam schedule post.
Annual Renewal PMI Member fees:
If you are already a PMI member and if you want to renew it, you will be paying annual renewal fee. The annual renewal fee is $119 for PMI-members. If your PMI membership has expired and if you want to rejoin PMI, you will be considered as a new member. You will be paying $129 membership fee plus $10 application fee as well.
Following are the most popular benefits of being a PMI-member.
- Download the PMBOK Guide for free
- Save money on globally recognized certifications
- Master new skills through free webinars and events
- Stay ahead of deadlines using 1,000+ free tools and templates
- Join the community to make local and global connections
What are the other aspects of PMP exam fee?
Note that, we have explored only the PMP exam fees. When you are preparing for PMP exam, you will have other “costs” as well. For instance, you must attend in a PMP training to satisfy the PMP requirements. PMP training cost depends on various factors including your location, content of the training, whether you will enroll in an online or classroom training etc.
Besides, you have to spare your time for PMP exam study as well. So, there will be a time investment to get your PMP certification. We have outlined all aspects of these in our PMP certification cost post. Please read it to understand all aspects of PMP exam fee.
Is it worth to become PMI member while aspiring for PMP Certification?
The short answer is: Yes, of course. For the long answer and justifications, please read on.
Firstly, the PMP exam fees cover membership fee and the membership gives some benefits. E.g. accessing PMBOK for free, having a discount for PMP exam fee etc.
Secondly, you can save up to $100 of PMP exam fee in re-attempt of PMP Certification exam if you cannot pass in your first try. If you have already passed the PMP exam, you must be aware of PMP certification renewal. We have detailed this in following heading.
PMP Certification Renewal Fees
In order to maintain your PMP certification, there are certain steps you must follow. These are the below high-level steps of renewing PMP Certification:
- Earn and report 60 PDU (Professional Development Unit), during each three years of Certification Cycle.
- Fill and complete all the necessary details of an application for certificate renewal
- Make a payment for the PMP renewal fees after receiving confirmation from PMI.
PMP Certification Renewal cost:
PMP renewal fee depends on whether you are a PMI-member or not as well.
|Member||PMP Renewal Fees($USD)|
Earning PDUs for PMP Renewal:
All PMP Certified holders must earn PDUs to actively maintain their PMP Certification.
These PDUs can be earned through various development activities which falls under the following two categories:
- Education: – Gain knowledge to enhance your technical, leadership and business management skills.
- Giving back to the Profession: – Contribute in the activities to build the profession by utilizing your knowledge & skills.
|Certification Detail||Certification Cycle||Minimum Education PDU||Maximum Giving Back PDU||Total PDU|
|PMP||3 Years from Getting PMP Certificate or Re Certification Date||35||25||60|
PMI Refers to Talent Triangle which consists of three areas that together make up the ideal skill set combination. When earning PDUs for renewing your PMP, you must comply PMP PDU requirements the as well.
The details are given below:
- Technical Project Management: Knowledge, skills and behaviors related to specific domains of Project, Program and Portfolio Management.
- Leadership: Knowledge, skills and behaviors specific to leadership-oriented, cross-cutting activities that help an organization achieve its business goals
- Strategic and Business Management: Knowledge of and expertise in the industry or organization that enhances performance and better delivers business outcomes.
Rescheduling or Cancelling PMP Certification Fee
Although you have paid for the PMP exam and paid for PMP certification fee, you can reschedule or cancel your exam. There might or might not be rescheduling or cancellation fees. Following table summarizes the PMP certification fee in case of rescheduling or cancellation.
|PMP Exam Rescheduling/Cancel –
Days Prior to exam (it doesn’t include the day of exam)
|PMP Exam Rescheduling Fees($USD)|
|More Than 30 Days||No Fee|
|Less Than 30 Days, But More Than 2 Days||$70|
|2 Days or Less||Forfeit Entire Exam Fee|
Always try to reschedule or cancel the PMP exam as soon as you realize that you are not able to attend the exam. Otherwise, you will pay for PMP certification fee for rescheduling or cancellation. The rescheduling or cancellation PMP certification fee would be zero if it is done 30 days before the scheduled exam.
How Can I Reschedule or Cancel CBT (Computer Based Testing) PMP Exam Appointment?
After you have applied and pass the PMP eligibility, you will be able to schedule your PMP exam through your profile at pmi.org website. Actually, you will be directed to Pearson VUE website to schedule your PMP exam. If you want to reschedule or cancel your PMP exam, you will do this from the same place.
How Can I Reschedule or Cancel PBT (Paper based testing) PMP Exam Appointment?
If you have opted to sit for PMP Paper Based Testing (PBT), you have to send email at [email protected] no later than 35 calendar days before scheduled examination administration date. Kindly include your name, your PMI identification number, group id number, (both found on your confirmation mail) and the location of the PBT event in your email.
PMP Exam Fees Refund Criteria
In certain circumstances, you can get a refund for the PMP exam fees you have paid. We will see these now.
- If your PMP application was selected for audit and failed, then, PMI will deduct $100 from your PMP exam fees and refund the rest of the amount to you.
- If you have passed the audit or if your application has not been selected for the audit and you have not written the exam, but, you want to get refund of PMP exam fee amount. You should request for cancellation one month before the PMP exam eligibility expiration date. Next, PMI will deduct $100 and refund the rest of the amount to you.
- PMP exam fees are not refundable if you fail in the exam.
- PMI will not refund money if you have not taken the exam by your exam eligibility expiration date (usually one year from the approval date)
- If you schedule the exam and you have not attended the exam. You will not get PMP exam fee refund from PMI.
PMI consider the extenuating circumstances for personal emergencies to cancel or reschedule the exam within 30 days of the appointment or miss a scheduled exam appointment.
Below are the details:
- Medical Emergency
- Military Deployment
- Death in Immediate Family
- Illness in Immediate Family
- Natural Disaster
Note: These circumstances does not include work-related circumstances.
If you fall in one of the conditions above, kindly, contact [email protected] with an explanation and supporting documentation to obtain a refund of PMP exam fees or reschedule your PMP exam without a penalty.
How Can I Pay PMP Exam Fee?
There are several ways to pay for PMP exam fee.
- Credit Card: Online certification system or postal mail to PMI
- Check: Postal mail to PMI
- Money Order: Postal mail to PMI
- Wire Transfer: Email [email protected] for details
While sending PMP application through postal mail, include PMP exam fee payment detail if you are not using one of the online payment methods.
If you submit your PMP application online, you may submit the PMP exam fee payment by the following ways:
- Online – Use the Online Certification System to submit credit card payment. This is the fastest PMP exam fee payment method.
- By Postal Mail – you can mail check, money order, credit card information or wire payment information to PMI. Please mention your PMI identification number and your user name.