Many disciplines have their structured way, practices, and standards of doing things. The airlines have their standard operating procedures, engineers have theirs as well and the military has their standards and best practices that, if followed, will guaranty success or the most efficient way of arriving at a solution. Information and Communication Technology, an ever-growing discipline, has come of age and has its best practices and standards. Some mature and some not, some globally acceptable and some localized…
IT Service Management, a whole set of activities to manage an IT ecosystem, is a field that has come of age, with such frameworks such as ITIL (IT Infrastructure Library) and COBIT (Control Objectives for Information and Related Technologies). To learn this framework you need an ITIL training, to master them you need experience. You can find a suitable ITIL course to extend your knowledge, but first, let’s talk about what is ITIL and what is ITIL Training.
What is the meaning of ITIL?
ITIL is a set of best practices for IT Service Management. It focuses on aligning business needs with IT Services. ITIL training is a must to work in that industry. ITIL is originated from the British Government. IBM had earlier done a research on quality service delivery systems and had published IBM management series. The British government had an endeavor to build a more efficient, sufficient and quality IT Service through the British Central Computer and Telecommunication Agency (CCTA). Which came up with a framework after being charged to develop an efficient way and economical use of IT resources.
The CCTA, now the Office of Government Commerce, came up with the ITIL Framework consisting of service support and delivery. Though different from the current ITIL version 3, but based on the same concepts, ITIL has come of age from inception with 26 publications to ITIL Version 2, which was only based on two disciplines namely service support and service delivery.
What is ITIL training?
ITIL training starts at a foundation level and goes all the way to a master Level.
The ITIL Training Foundation level helps you to master the basic concepts and key definitions of the ITIL process. Basically, it gives you the kickstart for understanding the ITIL Framework. Let say you want to learn Karate or body combat, the very foundation level is learning punches and kicks. The punches and kicks are equivalent to ‘ITIL Training Foundation Level’. Afterwards, you can proceed to an extended level of Karate similar to an advanced level of ITIL training. ITIL training includes getting knowledge and basic concepts used in ITIL Lifecycle, these include ITIL definitions, terminology, key elements, and concepts of ITIL.
To get an ITIL Foundation Certification, you have to sit for a maximum 60 min supervised examination and must score 65% or more. Good news is that ITIL Foundation is ranked as a bloom’s taxonomy level 1 and 2. It means that it only tests on knowledge and comprehension, meaning the ITIL Training in foundation level. What are you waiting for to get an ITIL training and learn an efficient way of managing your IT Environment?
ITIL Training Foundation Learning Objectives
The ITIL Foundation learning objectives can be achieved in the following areas, where knowledge and understanding of the said principals upon completion of training and examination.
- Service management as a practice (comprehension)
- The ITIL lifecycle (comprehension)
- Generic concepts and definitions (awareness)
- Key principles and models (comprehension)
- Selected processes (awareness)
- Selected functions (awareness)
- Selected roles (awareness)
- Technology and architecture (awareness)
- Competence and training (awareness)
After gaining an ITIL Foundation Certification in IT Service Management, it is not intended to enable the holders of the certificate to apply the ITIL practices for service management without further guidance.
What are you going to learn in ITIL Training?
In ITIL training, the foundation Syllabus is aimed at raising an individual’s understanding of and competence in IT Service management. The following are the summaries of the units covered in ITIL training:
- Service management as a practice: The main aim of this unit of the ITIL training is to help a candidate to describe the concept of a service, and to comprehend and explain the concept of service management as a practice.
- The ITIL service lifecycle: This unit of the ITIL training helps to enable the candidate to understand the value of the ITIL Service lifecycle, the integration of the ITIL processes with each other under the service lifecycle. The candidate should also understand and explain the objectives, business value, and scope of each stage of the ITIL Service Lifecycle.
- Generic concepts and definitions: In ITIL training, this unit aims to help the candidate to describe some of the key terminologies and explain the key concepts of the ITIL service management.
- Key principles and models: The candidate should be able to comprehend and account for the key principals and models of the ITIL Service management. The candidate who takes the ITIL training should understand the ITIL Lifecycle phases namely, ITIL Service strategy, ITIL Service Design and ITIL continual service improvement
- ITIL Processes: How the service management processes contribute to the ITIL service lifecycle should be the main goal of this unit of ITIL Training. The candidate should be able to explain the purpose, objectives, scope, basic concepts, activities, and interfaces for four of the core processes. Also state the scope, purpose, and objectives of the remaining eighteen processes.
- Functions: The purpose of this ITIL training unit is to help the candidate to explain the role, objectives and organizational structures of the service desk function. Also, to state the role, objectives, and overlap of three other functions.
- Roles: The purpose of this ITIL Training unit is to help the candidate to account for and to be aware of the roles and responsibilities in service management.
- Technology & architecture: In this unit of the ITIL training, candidate will learn how technology automation will help in expedition of service management within the ITIL Service Lifecycle
- Competence & Training: Though not examinable, this ITIL training unit aims for the candidate to gain knowledge of competence, skills, and training within the ITIL Service management
- ITIL Mock Exam: Lastly there is the sample ITIL Exam to help the candidate test his understanding and readiness for the ITIL certification exam.
Check out a section of ITIL Training
Now, what are you waiting for? Get that ITIL training with the help of an online ITIL course, get certificated and start a flourishing career!