Are you looking at becoming a certified associate in project management (CAPM)? Do you want to understand how certified associate in project management would boost your career prospect? Then, read on to learn about becoming a Certified Associate in Project Management!
What is a certified associate in project management?
Certified associate in project management (CAPM) is the credential you can get from PMI – Project Management Institute. Do you want to carve a niche for yourself in project management arena? Then, CAPM designation will help you get recognition and an upper hand over others when seeking a job.
Who can apply for a CAPM certification?
Have you begun your career or contemplating a career path? Or, have you already worked for less than 3 years in a project team and want to know how you can skyrocket your career? If you are in either of these two conditions, you can definitely focus on a certified associate in project management.
CAPM certification requirements
Do you have a high school diploma or its equivalent that recognized over the world? In addition to this, you must have completed 23 hours of project management education in order to be eligible for CAPM certification exam.
For you to appear for the certified associate in project management exam, you need to have the above education level and you must have completed the CAPM certification training. You can read more about CAPM certification requirements.
How do I become a certified associate in project management (CAPM)?
You can follow these 7 steps to get your project management certification in demand: certified associate in project management.
- Verify your eligibility for CAPM certification
- Go for a CAPM training class. This would give you the 23 hours project management education too in addition to training for the exam
- Apply on PMI website
- Pay the fee
- Prepare and Schedule exam
- Take the CAPM Exam
- Congratulations! You are a Certified Associate in Project Management
Certified associate in project management training
How to choose a CAPM exam training? What criteria to look for when deciding a CAPM Education course? Here are a few pointers you can look at when opting for a certified associate in project management training provider:
- Do they have prior experience in providing these CAPM courses? What do their clients say about the course?
- What is the experience of the instructor?
- Can the instructor provide specific inputs for CAPM or, are you being boxed into a PMP class? Please do verify this aspect
- What options does the provider give you? Can you attend the class in case you miss the first time?
What else to look for when choosing the provider?
- Will you get a CAPM Study Guide?
- A Question bank is needed for practice. So, check if you get access to one?
- Can you contact the instructor after the session is complete? You may want to clarify some aspects after you start your preparation. Therefore, access to the faculty after the session while preparation is underway is a key aspect
- If it is an online session, check the duration of access you will have to the recording and CAPM training videos
Apply and Pay Fees
Do you have a user ID and password for PMI website? If not create to and login to apply. You need to enter your education and training details online. Along with this, enter your 23 hours education details
CAPM Exam Fee
Are you a PMI member? Then, you pay only $225 but if you have not taken your annual membership, you would be paying $300. PMI is also offering a special package for students on membership and exam fee. Please do check on the PMI website and save some money on your CAPM certification exam. As a budding project manager and soon to be CAPM certified, you also need to keep an eye on the budget!
Certified Associate in Project Management Exam
For you to become a CAPM certified, you need to know the makeup of CAPM exam. Here you go!
How long is the exam duration?
How many questions does the exam have?
150 question, multiple choice and you do not lose marks for wrong answers, no negative marking
What would the questions be based on?
The foundation is the PMBOK or the Guide to Project Management Body of Knowledge. You can get the PMBOK pdf from PMI. This is the base for the questions but it is not just about knowing the 10 knowledge areas, process groups and 47 processes in the PMBOK. More importantly, do you have a grasp on how these are applied in projects?
The exam has approximately 22 questions from project management process groups while 18 questions each from Integration and Time Management knowledge area. You may get about 6-11% of questions from other knowledge areas.
What are the perks of becoming a Certified Associate in Project Management?
What benefits will you get for being a CAPM?
- You have better chances of getting a job compared to non-certified people and a greater salary
- Evidence of your dedication towards the profession by investing time and money towards a premiere project management certification
- The way you communicate with your global clients, peers is more standardized and the terminology becomes uniform across the globe
- The chances that you complete the project more successfully is greater since you are better equipped
What after you become a CAPM certified professional?
You will be a certified associate in project management for 5 years from the day you became a CAPM. What after that? You may renew your certification or if you have garnered sufficient experience and education that meets PMP requirements, you may go for PMP (Project Management Professional) certification.
Therefore, becoming a CAPM certified professional is a win-win situation. It is an advantage to both you and your company. Your company can claim that they have certified personnel and hence better chances of project success while you have better jobs, salary, and recognition.
Sunanda Gundavajhala, B.Tech, M.B.A, PMP has over 25 years of project management. She is a consultant, trainer on project management for different sectors and is the recipient of “Recognition of Excellence” award from PMI, USA and Woman Volunteer award from Hyderabad, India Chapter of PMI. Sunanda has contributed to the “Practice Standard on Scheduling, PMI”. She has worked as the Liaison Officer for PMIEF (Education Foundation) for the Hyderabad, India Chapter of PMI.