Are you planning for the much sought after Prince2 certification? If yes, you should definitely know about the Prince2 Training. While we discuss why taking a Prince2 Training is essential, we also explore the Prince2 Certification Requirements. So, read on to know more about the Prince2 Training in this post!
What is Prince2?
Prince2 is a project management credential that is a mandatory requirement in quite a few countries while it gives you an edge over other project management professionals across the world. By exploring the Prince2 Certification Requirements, you will get a fair idea of what is needed to become a Prince2 credential holder and how Prince2 Training will help you achieve your goal.
Did you know that Prince2 is an acronym and has nothing to do with kings or princes? Prince2 is PRojects IN Controlled Environments. What is controlled environment and why such need to define environment? If these are your thoughts, all your queries will get answered here along with the Prince2 training needs and availability.
Origin of Prince2
Prince is the framework created by Simpact Systems Ltd in 1975. This was to have a defined methodology and framework for executing projects. Projects under UK Government felt the need to have a clearly articulated framework which is uniformly applied for all their projects. Hence, Prince2 was formalized by CCTA in 1979 for all the IT projects of UK Government. Central Computer and Telecommunications Agency (CCTA) is now known as Office of Government Commerce (OGC).
Later, the majority of the European countries about 150 of them collaborated to bring out the Prince2 in 1996. Now, PRINCE2® is a registered trademark of AXELOS Limited.
Where is Prince2 applied?
As you are now aware, Prince2 started in UK Government projects, but if you think its applicability is limited to only the Government projects in the United Kingdom, you need to change your view. Prince2 training or Prince2 Courses will help you have a better understanding of not just the process and methodology but also about its applicability and how you can tailor the Prince2 methodology for your specific project needs.
Prince2 is a framework that applies to both small and large companies as well. While it started in the Government sector, it is embraced by many private sectors too. Since it is versatile and applies across industries, it is good to have a structured Prince2 training which helps you become a Certified Professional.
Role of Axelos
Cabinet Office of United Kingdom felt that a separate body that can manage the project management best practices was needed. Therefore, Cabinet Office of UK Government started Axelos as a joint venture with Capita Plc to take care of development, management and continuous improvement of project management best practices. Axelos aims to be the top most company in creating the project management best practices. While Axelos by itself does not provide the Prince2 training, it has authorized some of the institutes to provide Prince2 training which helps in clearing the Prince2 certification exam.
What are Prince2 Certification Requirements?
Before we dig into the Prince2 Certification Requirements, let us understand the Prince2 Certifications that are available and who can opt for which certification. There are two major certifications under Prince2: Foundation and Practitioner. Let us understand what Prince2 Training is needed for each of these and who is eligible to go for them.
What is Prince2 Foundation? As you can guess, Prince2 Foundation is a primer or an introductory or basic Prince2 course. As a Prince2 Foundation level certification holder, what skills and knowledge do you get?
Skills and Knowledge of Prince2 Foundation Level certified professional:
- You would have gained an understanding of the method to execute effectively projects under Prince2 method
- Know the basic methodology and terminology of Prince2 as you would have also undergone a Prince2 training
Prince2 Certification Requirements for Foundation level:
What are the eligibility criteria for the Prince2 Foundation level certification exam?
- You do not need any specific education or experience or training for the Foundation level certification
- But, Axelos suggests that in Prince2 Certification Requirements, it is good to have some understanding of managing projects and the terminology that is used when formally managing the projects. Therefore, a Prince2 training will gear you up for the Foundation level certification in a more effective way
What is Prince2 Practitioner? What are the requirements to be eligible for this level of Prince2? What kind of Prince2 training you should have?
Prince2 Certification Requirements for Practitioner level:
The next higher level after the Foundation is the Practitioner. Let us also review the Prince2 Certification Requirements for the Practitioner Level certification exam. This will help you choose the best Prince2 training provider and the Prince2 courses.
Here are the eligibility factors for Prince2 Practitioner Level Certification exam:
Before you sit for the Prince2 Practitioner exam, you need show proof of passing one of these exams or having these credentials:
- Prince2 Foundation exam
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) which are certification from the Project Management Institute (PMI)
- International Project Management Association (IPMA) Level A/B/C/D corresponding to Certified Projects Director, Certified Senior Project Manager, Certified Project Manager and Certified Project Management Associate
Who can go for Prince2 Certification?
This Prince2 Certification and Prince2 training is definitely a need for Project managers, or those working as project coordinators, expeditors and project team who are aiming to continue in the project management profession and climb up the ladder. But, in addition to these roles, personnel involved in various stages of project lifecycle such as designers, Product managers, team members, Business Analysts, Project Support staff or Quality Assurance personnel can also go for the Prince2 training. This Prince2 training would help them prepare for the certification. On top of this, Prince2 training and certification will add knowledge of project management principles and methods which also help to improve their career prospects.
What is contained in Prince2?
The Prince2 framework is a process-oriented approach for efficient project delivery. Prince2 is built upon 7 principles, themes, processes and project environment. From January 1, 2018, new Prince2 2017 manual – “The Managing Successful Projects with the PRINCE2 publication, 2017 edition” becomes the basis for the exam.
The complete Prince2 structure involves a Manual, a Certification Scheme and a Membership Subscription. A Certification Scheme is the structure of the certifications offered by Axelos to help you achieve either the ‘Foundation’ level or the ’Practitioner’.
Added to these is the Membership subscription facility which helps you stay updated with the Prince2 advancements and changes. This also helps you maintain your certification which is discussed in some of the Prince2 Courses. Therefore, check for these factors when choosing a Prince2 training.
The Themes, Processes, and Principles of Prince2
Let us delve into the 7 principles, processes and themes that make up Prince2 to understand them better. These would be covered as part of the Prince2 training as well in depth along with the application of these for projects.
The 7 processes in Prince2 will tell you what to do when to do and who will do it. So, what are these 7 processes that help you understand the framework of Prince2? Hence, if you are taking a Prince2 training, you need to make sure you have a grasp of these 7 processes which define from starting a project to closing it:
- Starting up a project: How and why a project begins, the team assigned, the purpose along with a brief description to take it forward to the next step
- Initialization of a project: Define the targets for the timeline, budget, risk tolerance, scope, quality, and benefits realized
- Direction of a Project: Guidance on how to conduct the project throughout the lifecycle of the project
- Controlling a stage: Project manager will assign the work after it is broken down for better control. This involves problem-solving, and overseeing the progress while a team manager does coordination and collaboration for work completion
- Management of product delivery: Core product development activities of working to complete a work package and delivering it.
- Management of stage boundaries: Stagewise or phase end reviews to assess the work done, progress and decision to move to the next stage.
- Closures of a Project: Formally capture the benefits, evaluate the overall project and releasing resources along with the transitioning of the product.
When you undergo a Prince2 training, you would understand how these 7 processes are defined and applied for project delivery.
Your Prince2 training should help you understand the principles and themes which are:
- Business justification
- Roles and responsibilities
- Learn from experience
- Manage by exceptions
- Manage by stages
- Tailor to suite the environment
- Focus on product
In addition to the 7 principles, Prince2 contains these 7 themes:
- Business case: To know the financial feasibility and business need
- Organization: To define the roles, responsibilities, and accountability.
- Quality: To ensure that quality is built in and meets the requirements
- Risks: To know what possible risks could occur and how to address them.
- Plan: The crux of Prince2 to layout the roadmap for the project.
- Change: How to manage change in the project effectively is the purpose of this theme.
- Progress: To track if the project is as per the plan
Let us see why you need Prince2 Training and how it helps you to attain your credentials. If you attend a Prince2 Training, you will be equipped with the skills and knowledge needed for completing the certification exam successfully.
Some of the benefits of attending a Prince2 Training are:
- You will get a complete support for the Prince2 certification from the preparation to maintaining your certifications.
- Prince2 Training will be aligned to the latest version of the Prince2 manual which is now 2017 version. Therefore, you will be aligned with the needs of the present exam syllabus.
- An in-depth understanding of the 7 processes, principles and themes that we discussed earlier.
- Aim to help you pass the certification exam on the first attempt through the Prince2 training.
- While certification is the core objective for most of you, the other value add is the application of this knowledge to project delivery.
- Prince2 course that you undergo will help you customize the projects based on the environment. What this entails is that you manage it more efficiently for successful delivery.
- Have clarity on the templates, processes, principles to manage the project lifecycle.
- Get access to mock tests that help you sail through the exam with élan.
- If you have opted for a Prince2 training that is online, it is a self-paced and flexible Prince2 training course. What does this mean? If you chose online Prince2 training, you can access the videos anytime, anyplace and at your convenience. They are always available for you to refer, review and revise so that you can clear the certification exam in a single try.
- Look out for Prince2 training where you get real-world examples and case studies so that you can relate the concepts to the actual project environment. This is a great asset for you to tailor your projects.
- Smart aids to help you prepare for the exam like flash cards, cheat sheets, practice tests, and case studies.
- An online Prince2 training comes with access to forums where peers participate and learning enhances.
- For a busy professional who wants to rise up the career ladder, time is of the essence and hence you need to look out for a well-modulated course that is just right for your needs.
- Some of the Prince2 training providers offer you a complete Prince training bundle of Foundation and professional which might be a good deal. This Prince2 training not only helps you to prepare and get your foundation, it satisfies the Prince2 certification requirements for your Prince2 Practitioner level certification as well.
- The other benefit is in terms of cost. As a project manager (aspiring), you should have an eye on the budget and where you can cut down your expenditure. Online Prince2 training satisfies this and is cost-effective compared to a classroom training while providing the much-needed flexibility to you.
What are Prince2 Certification Exams?
We have discussed what to look for when choosing a Prince2 training. Now, let us comprehend the Prince2 Certification Exam so that you can know the importance and need for a Prince2 training.
What is Prince2 Foundation Level Certification Exam 2017?
Typically, when we are talking about an exam, what comes to your mind? Here are a few questions and answers to help you: What is the makeup of the exam?
- How much time will be allowed? The Exam duration is 1 hour
- How many questions? 60
- What is the Pass percentage or how many marks you need to get to clear the exam? 55 (you need to get at least 33 questions correct out of the total 60 questions)
- Which type of questions would be asked? Multiple Choice Question
- Will I lose marks for a wrong answer? No, there is no negative marking
- What is the Reference Book or basis for the exam? Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2 publication, 2017 edition (the book is only for reference and the exam is closed book)
- What type of Questions? You may be given the regular ‘Classic’ question with 4 answer options, or filling a missing word type or pick the 2 correct statements from a given list of 4 statements.
What is Prince2 Practitioner Level Certification Exam 2017?
Since you are now aware of the Prince2 Certification Requirements, you know that Foundation is a prerequisite. Therefore, next step is to appraise yourself on the exam pattern for the Practitioner level exam. While Prince2 training is not mandatory even for this, you have already seen how it helps when we discussed the Foundation level Prince2 training.
So, here is the exam pattern:
- Objective type Question
- 68 questions
- Pass percentage: 55%, i.e., you need to get 38 marks at least out of 80 available
- You get 2.5 hours (150 minutes) to complete
Having a Practitioner Certificate is an indication of your ability to modify methods for your organization and environment. For this higher level certification, it makes sense to undergo a Prince2 training so that you can crack it the first attempt.
Prince2 Certification Renewal
Since your Prince2 Practitioner certificate is valid for 3 years, you need to renew it either with another take of the exam or through Membership.
- Within 3 months of becoming a credential holder, you should take membership and continue for the next 3 years. You also need to get 20 CPD points every year for the 3-year period to maintain your certificate.
Summarizing, Prince2 training is an essential ingredient in your recipe for success and attaining the Prince2 certification both Foundation and Practitioner level.
Sunanda Gundavajhala, B.Tech, M.B.A, PMP has over 25 years of project management. She is a consultant, trainer on project management for different sectors and is the recipient of “Recognition of Excellence” award from PMI, USA and Woman Volunteer award from Hyderabad, India Chapter of PMI. Sunanda has contributed to the “Practice Standard on Scheduling, PMI”. She has worked as the Liaison officer for PMIEF (Education Foundation) for the Hyderabad, India Chapter of PMI.